Having a clean shower head is essential for an enjoyable, relaxing shower every day and for preventing mineral buildup and deposits that can cause clogs and reduce water pressure over time. Unfortunately, only a few people know the right way to clean a shower head; even when they do, they need to learn the right products.
This article provides a step-by-step guide on how to clean a shower head using various products such as distilled white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, hydrogen peroxide baking soda, and detergents.
Why Do You Need To Clean Your Shower Head?
Regularly cleaning a shower head helps to remove mineral deposits, soap scum, and other contaminants that can clog the nozzle of your shower head or reduce its water pressure. Over time, these contaminants can also cause discoloration, which may be difficult to fix without proper cleaning. Experts suggest homeowners clean their showerheads at least once a month to maintain proper water pressure and hygiene.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
– White vinegar
– Plastic bag
– Soft clothes or sponges
– Rubber band (for nickel-coated shower heads)
– Hydrogen peroxide spray bottle
– Specialized brush (for clogged areas)
– Empty spray bottle
– Scrub brush or toothbrush
How To Clean A Shower Head With Vinegar
One of the most effective ways to clean your shower head is using white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. All you need to do is fill a plastic bag with either white or apple cider vinegar and tie it around your shower head. Here’s a more detailed process:
1. Fill a plastic bag with white vinegar or apple cider vinegar and tie it around the shower head. Make sure that the nozzle is completely submerged in the liquid.
2. Let the shower head soak sit for at least an hour before removing the plastic bag from your shower arm.
3. Remove any visible mineral deposits from your showerhead with a soft brush or cloth, if necessary.
4. Use a plastic sponge to remove any buildup from inside the nozzle of your showerhead, and wipe down any other areas where you can see dirt and residue built up over time.
5. Rinse off your shower head with clean water, making sure to get all of the vinegar out of any crevices or grooves.
6. Wipe down your shower head with a dry cloth to remove all the vinegar from the surface.
7. To disinfect and deodorize your showerhead, fill another plastic bag with white vinegar and tie it around it for about 10 minutes before removing it.
8. Use a plastic sponge or toothbrush to scrub away any remaining mineral deposits not removed earlier with the first plastic bag filled with vinegar.
9. Rinse off the nozzle and wipe down any areas where soap scum may have built up over time.
10. Finally, turn on the water to flush out any remaining debris and ensure no part of your fixture is blocked or clogged due to mineral deposits or dirt.
How To Clean Shower Head With Baking Soda & Detergent
Baking soda and detergent are two other popular ingredients for cleaning showerheads that can be combined to ensure your fixture is properly disinfected and deodorized. Here’s how to do it:
1. Begin by filling a bowl with warm water and adding a few tablespoons of baking soda into the mix.
2. Use a sponge or cloth to scrub your showerhead with the baking soda solution to remove any visible dirt, soap scum, or mineral buildup that may be present.
3. Rinse off your shower head and dry it with a clean towel before moving on to the next step.
4. Fill another bowl with warm water and add laundry detergent until it forms a thick lather.
5. Dip an old toothbrush into the solution and use it to scrub away any remaining dirt from inside the nozzle of your showerhead.
6. With the bristles of your brush still wet, scrub the outside of your showerhead to get rid of any soap scum that may be present.
7. After scrubbing, rinse your shower head with clean water and use a soft cloth to dry it thoroughly.
8. To deodorize your fixture, fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and spritz it inside the nozzle and around the edges where dirt or grime may have built up over time.
9. Rinse off the vinegar with a damp microfiber cloth, and make sure to dry it again with a soft towel afterward.
Cleaning Your Shower Head With Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide can be used as an effective cleaner to remove any buildup from inside your shower head when you don’t want to use vinegar. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Begin by filling a bowl with warm water and adding 2-3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide into the mix.
2. Use an old toothbrush to scrub away any dirt or mineral deposits that may be present inside your showerhead’s nozzle.
3. Rinse off the hydrogen peroxide solution with warm water and dry it thoroughly before moving on to the next step.
4. Fill a spray bottle with warm water and spritz it around the edges of your fixture where dirt or grime may have built up over time.
Cleaning Your Shower Head With Bleach
If you’re looking for a more heavy-duty cleaning solution, bleach can be an effective way to clean your shower head and remove any stubborn dirt, soap scum, or mineral deposits that may be present. Here’s the process:
1. Begin by mixing equal parts water and bleach in a bowl.
2. Use a sponge or cloth to scrub your showerhead with the bleach solution, making sure to cover all surfaces completely.
3. Rinse off your shower head with clean water and dry it with a soft cloth before moving on to the next step.
4. Fill a plastic bag halfway with white vinegar and tie it around your shower head for about 10 minutes, allowing the vinegar to penetrate deep into any crevices or grooves.
5. Use a scrub brush to remove any remaining dirt from inside the nozzle of your showerhead, and wipe down any other areas where you can see buildup built up over time.
6. Rinse off the nozzle again and use a dry cloth to ensure all the bleach is removed from the surface.
7. To disinfect and deodorize your fixture, spray hydrogen peroxide and spritz it inside the nozzle and around the edges where dirt or grime may have built up over time.
8. Let your showerhead sit for about a few hours before rinsing off any remaining cleaning solution, and make sure that no part of your fixture is blocked or clogged due to mineral deposits or dirt.
Once you have successfully cleaned your shower head, you must maintain it to keep it looking new.
How To Maintain Your Shower Head
Keeping your showerhead in top condition is essential for a pleasant and refreshing shower experience, so it’s important to take the necessary steps to maintain your fixture. Here are some tips on how to do just that:
1. If you have a nickel-coated shower head, regularly use a rubber band to hold back any loose clumps of dirt or debris clogging up the nozzle.
2. To reduce the buildup of mineral deposits, run hot water through your shower head every few weeks and leave it running for at least five minutes.
3. Clean any excess water with a soft cloth after each use, as this will help prevent dirt or grime from accumulating over time.
4. If you notice any clogs or buildup, use a specialized brush to clean it out and ensure the nozzle is clear of all debris.
5. To reduce the chances of limescale formation, consider installing a water filter in your showerhead to minimize the number of hard minerals in the water supply.
Avoiding a clogged showerhead is much easier than trying to unclog one, so follow these tips for your showerhead to stay clog-free and look like new for many years to come.
Cleaning and maintaining your showerhead can be tedious, but it is an important part of keeping your fixture in top condition. Following the steps outlined in this article, you can ensure that your shower head remains free of dirt and grime and will work properly for many years.
With the right cleaning solution, such as apple cider vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda, you can easily remove any buildup from your shower head and ensure it looks new each time you step into the tub or shower. Taking extra steps to maintain your fixture now could save you a lot of hassle. So keep these tips in mind for healthier showers for everyone.
If you need any help with shower head maintenance, call MD Sewer and Plumbing today. Our experienced technicians can provide fast and efficient plumbing service to ensure that your showerhead is in perfect working condition so that you can enjoy a relaxing and refreshing shower every time. Contact us now for more information on our services.